The Cadboro Bay Dead Boats Society was founded in 2017. The beach back then was cluttered with derelict boats and a burned-out hull of a houseboat. Neighbours and volunteer organizations assisted by the municipalities of Saanich and Oak Bay removed tons of derelict boats and related flotsam and jetsam from the full length of the Cadboro Bay beach. John Roe of the Veins of Life Watershed Society provided his expertise and assistance during the process. Green MLA Andrew Weaver and M.P. Murray Rankin worked their magic to obtain the necessary funding.
Since the initial massive cleanup of the beach, The Cadboro Bay Dead Boats Society has assisted boat owners every year with vessels of concern. A Cadboro Bay watch group was established in 2021. Waterfront and water view properties in the bay for both Oak Bay and Saanich were provided with emergency contact information and instructions on how to alert the Coast Guard, the Province and Municipal Governments with information regarding vessels in distress.
The goal of the Cadboro Bay Dead Boats Society is to keep the bay and beach clean, safe and derelict free.
Members of The Cadboro Bay Dead Boats Society
|Chair||Eric Dahli||(250) 477-7381|
|Secretary||Robert des Trois Maisons||(250) 370-5426|
|Treasurer||Peter Simpson||(778) 678-8852|
|Training Officer||John Flanagan||(250) 477-6889|
Do you have a dead boat concern?
All requests for information should be directed to the Cadboro Bay Dead Boats Society and we will help direct your request to the right organization in our area. We maintain excellent relationships with all like minded organizations. We often don’t spring into action until a ship hits the sand.
- April 20 2021 – Dead Boat Watch – How to Report
- Jan 1 2021 – Mast of derelict boat contacts house after washing ashore in Cadboro Bay
- Dec 31 2020 – Boat washes ashore in Cadboro Bay, nearly reaches house
- Dec 13 2020 – Boat removal an ‘early Christmas present’ for shores of Saanich, Oak Bay
- Oct 9 2020 – Greater Victoria coastal communities take derelict boat issue to CRD
- Jul 4 2020 – Group desperate to find solution to wrecks lining shores of Cadboro Bay
- Feb 20 2020 – Group continues to pull abandoned wrecks from Salish Sea
- Feb 4 2020 – High tides keeping Oak Bay crew from cleaning junk off Caddy Bay beach
- Jan 20 2020 – Six boat wrecks wash up on Cadboro Bay beaches over the weekend