On Dec. 11, the Prospect Lake District Community Association (PLDCA) co-hosted a successful Informational Dialogue with staff from Seaterra, the company in charge of managing the sewage treatment process on behalf of the Capital Region District (CRD), to gain better understand the details of the CRD’s plans for Hartland.
After hearing Seaterra’s proposal, the PLDCA agreed that sewage treatment is required but feels that the CRD process is flawed and out of control. They are therefore asking the BC government to keep its funding on hold but require an independent review of the plan with “formal engagement of the public to ensure that the final plan is taxpayer-friendly, respectful of residents, innovative and environmentally responsible.” (Click here to sign the petition.)
For the most up-to-date information on rapidly changing developments, see:
- PLDCA information is available on pldca.ca under Planning.
- Video of Fred Haynes (president of the PLCDA) speaking at the Nov.13th CRD Core Area Liquid Waste Management Committee meeting, regarding the PLDCA Motion.
- The Saanich Rural Local Area Plan – specifically:
p. 22: ‘Environment’p. 87: "Resolve land use and operation issues at the Hartland Landfill site"p. 93: “Appropriate zoning for the landfill and other annexed lands was adopted by Council in 2005 following Capital Regional District Board approval of amendments to the Solid Waste Management Plan to address buffering for the Hartland site, a public review process for amendments to the SWMP, and dispute mechanisms for the site.”
- The Willis Point Community Association is also actively opposed to the present LWMP
- The CRD’s Seaterra project website
- The Times Colonist website has an extensive archive of articles on the issue.
- The RITE Plan is a high profile group opposed to the plan as-is, and that is promoting an alternate ‘distributed gasification’ model.
If you do, please cc the following:
To send your letter via Canada Post:
The Honourable Mary Polak
PO BOX 9047 STN PROV GOVT
VICTORIA BC V8W 9E2
The Honourable Christy Clark
The Office of the Premier
PO BOX 9041 STN PROV GOVT
VICTORIA BC V8W 9E1