NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN that a SPECIAL COUNCIL MEETING for the purpose of a PUBLIC HEARING will be held in the SAANICH MUNICIPAL HALL COUNCIL CHAMBERS, 770 Vernon Avenue, Victoria, BC, V8X 2W7, on TUESDAY, OCTOBER 7, 2014 at 7:30 pm, to allow the public to make verbal or written representation to Council with respect to the following proposed bylaws.
A) “ZONING BYLAW, 2003, AMENDMENT BYLAW, 2014, NO. 9300”
PROPOSED ZONING BYLAW AMENDMENTS TO LEGALIZE SECONDARY SUITES NORTH OF MCKENZIE AVENUE
The intent of this proposed bylaw is to amend the regulations contained in Section 5.24 (Secondary Suite – Rural and Single Family Zone) in order to legalize secondary suites in RS-zoned properties in the area north of McKenzie Avenue shown outlined on the map below. This is subject to the same conditions established previously by Council under Sections 5.24, 5.26 and Table 7.1, and generally described below:
- Only one secondary suite permitted per single family dwelling
- The suite must be located inside the single family dwelling
- The owner of the single family dwelling must reside on site
- One additional off-street parking space must be provided for the tenant of the suite
- An occupancy permit must be issued for the secondary suite.
- Boarding not be permitted within the secondary suite
- The total number of kitchens within the dwelling may not exceed two.
NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING – 2 – OCTOBER 7, 2014
B) “ZONING BYLAW, 2003, AMENDMENT BYLAW, 2014, NO. 9301”
PROPOSED HOUSEKEEPING AMENDMENTS TO THE ZONING BYLAW, 2003
Periodically technical and administrative amendments to the Zoning Bylaw are recommended to provide clarity, amend anomalies and keep the bylaw current. The following aspects of the bylaw will be considered:
- Clarification of permitted land uses within all zones
- Regulation and definition of underground structures in all zones
- Regulation of single face building height for single family and two- family dwellings in all zones permitting single family and two-family dwellings
- Regulation of building height on existing small lot, RS-zoned single family properties
- Changes to definitions for:
- “Agricultural”- excluding as a permitted use medical marihuana growing and processing operations in all agricultural zones except the Agricultural Land Reserve
- “Gross Floor Area” – changes in how to calculate gross floor area for single family and two-family dwellings in all zones permitting single family and two-family dwellings
- Accessory building regulation changes in the RS-18 single family dwelling zone
Interested persons are encouraged to obtain a copy of the bylaw.
The proposed bylaws and relevant report(s) may be inspected or obtained from the Legislative Division between 8:30 am and 4:30 pm, from September 25, 2014 to October 7, 2014 inclusive, except for weekends and statutory holidays. The report(s) of the Director of Planning regarding secondary suites are available of the Saanich Website at:
Enquiries and comments may be submitted by mail or by email and must be received no later than 4:00 pm on the day of the meeting. All correspondence submitted will form part of the public record and may be published in a meeting agenda.
Legislative Division by email: firstname.lastname@example.org By Phone: 250-475-1775 Web: saanich.ca