Volunteer: Saanich Remembers This year marks the 100th anniversary of the end of WWI. We’ve been working on a multi-year project to honour the hundreds of Saanich residents who served in the First World War and to learn more about the impact of the war on the community.
New: Underwood Family fonds Our latest donation documents five generations of the Underwood family in Saanich. Over 600 photographs capture everyday life in the Tillicum and Cordova Bay areas (1930-1970) and tell the story of brothers Leslie, Ernest, and Ghazi Underwood’s WWII service.
Did You Know: Municipal Uniforms Saanich Municipal uniforms were introduced in 1965 with the opening of the new Municipal Hall on Vernon Avenue. Over 90% of the main floor staff wore the green blazer with either grey flannel skirts or trousers.
On This Day: Cycling Safety Changes were coming for Saanich cyclists on this day in 1918. The Feb. 23rd Daily Colonist announced that beginning on April 1st, the by-law which required bicycle riders to carry lights after sundown would be enforced.