Saanich Council will resume deliberation on the topic of dogs at Cadboro-Gyro Park and Beach on Monday July 5 at 7pm. Please review the agenda to access all reports and instructions on how to participate.
The agenda contains two topics related to dogs: #5 is specific to Cadboro-Gyro Park/Beach, and #6 relates to the Municipal Wide Dog Strategy and public consultation process.
For Cadboro-Gyro Park/Beach, Saanich Police provided a Briefing Note containing background, issues, actions taken, and recommendations. Police recommendations are summarized below:
- Amend bylaws applicable to Cadboro Bay Beach to align them with Federal Migratory Bird Sanctuary (MBS) Regulations. In the Briefing Note, Saanich Police indicated that this could be achieved through requiring dogs to be leashed on the beach. The Canadian Wildlife Service clarified that ‘continuous and effective control‘ of an animal within an MBS involves use of “typical restraints such as a leash, transport carriage or cage, attaching them to a static object, holding tightly on the animal’s collar, or holding the animal in the owner’s arms.” (Briefing Note Page 5, and refer to letter in Appendix 2). This change would amend Animals Bylaw 13.5(a) to align with MBS Regulation 5(1).
- Amend bylaws in Cadboro-Gyro Park so that dogs may be walked on-leash throughout the entirety of the park on a standard, non-extending leash only. This further amends 13.5(a).
- As interpreted: Do not proceed with earlier contemplated bylaw amendments to allow transiting of leashed dogs through the park on designated pathways, May 1-Aug 31. Saanich Police noted this is not required if Recommendation #2 is adopted.
- Create clear and consistent signage through collaboration between Saanich Parks staff, Saanich Police staff and the Canadian Wildlife Service (Federal).
- Require collaboration between Saanich Parks, Saanich Bylaw and Saanich Police prior to any proposed amendment to any section of the Saanich Animals Bylaw.
For Agenda Item #6 – Suzanne Samborski, Director Parks, provided a report containing background information on the proposed Saanich-wide dog strategy that will enable Council to make an informed decision about the scope of the project and the extent of public engagement to be carried out.
To register to participate by telephone in the Open Forum or Public Input portion of the Agenda, please email email@example.com or telephone 250-475-5501 and state your name, address and the date of the meeting at which you wish to speak. You must have access to a telephone, provide a telephone number that can be used to contact you, and an email address where instructions can be sent to you. Registration deadline is 12:00 p.m. noon on the day of the meeting.
Public input correspondence is also accepted via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or received in the Municipal Hall mailbox up until noon on the day of the meeting.