The Victoria Police Department will be conducting indoor and outdoor officer training on UVic’s Queenswood property during March and April. The specific dates are:
- March 3, 5, 11, 13, 16, 18, and 31
- April 2, 8, 10, 13, 14, 16, 20, 21, and 23
The police have provided the following information about the outdoor training that will be occurring on each of these dates:
- Outdoor Scenario 1: Distraught people on a bus: An actor will be positioned on a bus on the tennis court. Two officers will respond and will use verbal de-escalation skills to persuade the male off the bus to receive assistance. This is a no-shoot scenario in an enclosed environment with minimal noise concerns other than verbal conversation. It may entail the actor using elevated language, but will be contained inside the bus.
- Outdoor Scenario 2: The second scenario is self-guided training. Officers will take turns positioning themselves inside a police car located in the rear parking lot behind Queenswood. One officer will act as a suspect while the 2nd officer is seated in the police vehicle. The suspect is to draw a fake training gun and point it at the officer from the exterior of the vehicle. The officer seated inside the vehicle is to draw their fake training gun and point it at the subject. The objective is for officers to practice defensive tactics from a vulnerable position during an unprovoked lethal assault.
- Outdoor Scenario 1: This scenario involves a camper in a tent contrary to a Municipal By-Law. Police are responding to have the male pack his belongs and take down his tent as they are contravening the bylaw. The scenario may escalate to a physical confrontation or the use of an intermediate weapon (pepper spray or baton).This scenario will be contained on the grassy area directly in front of the building at Queenswood. This scenario may entail the actor using foul language but will be contained to this specific area. The pepper spray, if deployed, is inert and is a liquid substance that leaves no residue. Again this is a no-shoot scenario and given the location we don’t anticipate any significant noise concerns other than elevated conversation.