From Paige Erickson-McGeeCo-Chair Native Plant Study GroupVictoria BCnpsg.ca | email@example.com | Facebook
TALK: Oh Deer! Restoring Cadboro Bay’s Urban Forest
WHERE: UVic, MacLaurin Bldg, Rm D-288 in D-Wing
WHEN: September 20, 2018, from 7pm
Everett Peterson is a forest ecologist and retired registered forest professional. Over the past 14 years, he has been conducting ecological restoration in the 6-acre urban forest surrounding Goward House on Arbutus Road. The central question has been whether ecological restoration is even possible, given the presence of an abnormally high density of Columbian black-tailed deer. These herbivores are now the key architects of the future botanical structure of Cadboro Bay’s urban forests.
Several principles have proven helpful as choices were required and as priorities were chosen. Five key guiding principles are:
- Respect local ecological conditions of project site;
- Adapt to circumstances beyond your control;
- Optimize use of natural regeneration processes;
- Choose steps that have immediate visual impact;
- Plan for repeat restorative steps.
These guidelines will be highlighted with images and diagrams from the Goward Woodland in the presentation by Everett.
- Members: FREE (Membership $25/yr)=
- Non-Members: drop-in by donation
- Students: FREE
Notes: $3.00 for parking at UVic
Along with a friend, you are welcome to bring
- Any and all questions about native plants or native plant gardening for our experienced group of native plant gardeners
- Loonies/toonies for treats and tea at the refreshment break
- Box to carry home lots of native plants & seeds available by raffle $1 for 1 ticket or $2 for 3 tickets
- Travel mug or coffee mug for refreshments
- Potted and labelled native plants or items of interest for the raffle
- Some cookies or other shareable treats for 3 free draw tickets!
- 7:00-7:30PM Meeting, Question Jar and Announcements
- 7:30-7:45 Refreshment Break + Chatting
- 7:45-8:45 Presentation by Speaker (includes questions)
- 8:45-9:00 Plant Raffle
Note: If you would like to attend the full meeting please arrive for 7:00,if you would like to attend the presentation only please arrive during the refreshment between 7:30 and 7:45.