It is now legal to construct a garden suite with a permit in Saanich. Garden suites are detached, ground-oriented dwellings located in the rear yard of a property with a single family house as its principal use. Saanich expects this will increase the number and diversity of affordable rental housing units available in Saanich.
A few facts to know:
- You must apply for and be granted applicable permits in order to build and operate a garden suite.
- Garden suites can be used for family or as rental units, but cannot be strata-titled, sold or used for short-term rentals (e.g. for an Airbnb or Bed and Breakfast).
- An owner must live on the property with the garden suite in either the single family dwelling or the garden suite.
- A garden suite can only contain one dwelling unit.
- You cannot have a garden suite and a secondary suite.